Partner in Education ~ Thorpe Gordon Elementary School
First United Methodist Church has partnered with Thorpe Gordon Elementary School as a local community outreach mission since 1999. In 2010, the relationship was formalized as a Partner in Education through our Jefferson City Chamber of Commerce.
Throughout the school year, FUMC strives to have a presence at Thorpe Gordon to support them in their educational mission. Some ways in which we do that are:
• Act as hostess and provide cookies at their Back to School night in August. 45 dozen cookies!
• Collect school supplies for the students. Part of the supplies are saved and used throughout the school year when new students enter. The student population is very transient.
• Provide a hot meal during parent teacher conference for the teachers
• Collect Halloween Candy for the school’s Trunk or Treat event, which is planned by the staff.
• Provide a treat for the student’s holiday gift bags.
• FUSE Day – we attempt to include Gordon in many activities. We have painted, cleaned, organized and assembled playground equipment.
• Mission JC – Thorpe Gordon has been a host site and we’ve done landscape projects, etc.
• Staff Appreciation Week – We host a luncheon for their staff and provide hand written notes of encouragement
• Mentoring!! One of the most important things we do for the students is to support Missouri Valley Big Brothers Big Sisters in identifying mentors for Thorpe Gordon students. Big Brothers Big Sisters has a site based mentoring program that occurs during the school year, at the school, for 30-45 minutes each week. The application process and student match is all handed by trained professionals with Big Brothers Big Sisters and the school counselor.